Thursday, June 6, 2013

Il pleut!

everything sunny all the time always


Do you ever take your dog for a walk in the rain?  This is the second day straight that's it's poured here in Greenville, but Bandit doesn't seem to mind going out if it's just sprinkling.  We don't have yard, and I feel so bad for keeping the little guy cooped up inside all day; so, I try to take him out no matter what.  Luckily, I don't mind the rain like I used to!  It's fun to go out and splash in the puddles, and it sort of feels like you're breaking the rules because your mom isn't ushering you inside like when you were little.

I used to be the kind of person that was ecstatic to be laying out in the sunshine but would bunker down with a movie and a blanket the second it started raining.  I dreaded anything that would force me to go outside and walking to class in humid, rainy Williamsburg during college was the worst. Then, I found this article on A Cup of Jo, which talks about different cultures' approaches to "bad" weather and completely changed my perspective.  


Apparently in Scandinavia and Denmark, parents take their kids outside every day! It doesn't matter if it's rain or shine (or even snow!), they just bundle up and enjoy the moment. My favorite quote was one from one of the writer's Danish friends, who said "In Denmark, you can't be afraid of the weather...Otherwise you'd wait six months to go outside again." For some reason, that really struck a chord with me. Right when I read that, I decided that I wasn't going to let a little rain dampen my spirits. Isn't it interesting how something as simple as the weather can perceived so differently in other parts of the world? Check out the full article here, it's short, sweet and definitely inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment