Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The 1, 2, 3's of Hosting: DIY Bar Set

raising the bar for raising your glass


A couple weeks ago, one of my friends left a few bottles of iced coffee in my fridge.  I was wondering what I could do with the empty glasses after I drank them, when I saw the image below on Pintrest and was instantly smitten.  I've been dying to get a bar going here at home, and I thought this was the perfect place to start. 

image via Style Me Pretty


Here's what you'll need: 
2-4 Starbucks frappuccino bottles (like these)
1 glass carafe
paintbrushes 
1 X-acto knife
1 roll of painter's tape
1 sharpie
1 jar of Martha Stewart gold liquid guilding
3 bottles of Martha Stewart satin paint


After a quick trip to AC Moore, I had everything I needed.  (I think it only cost me $20, give or take).  After a little elbow grease, I managed to peel off the labels from the bottles and scrub off the stickiness.  Soap and warm water worked just fine.  

First, pour the liquid guilding into a bowl you don't mind losing or painting.  Then, just go to work on the bottles! The guilding is really thin, so you'll need to apply a couple coats, and they won't necessarily be completely even because it drips.  Luckily, as Style Me Pretty notes, this creates a really nice, artisanal look-after all, it is handmade! Set these aside to dry while you work on the carafe.

Using the Sharpie, draw three lines to gauge approximately where you want your peaks to start on the chevron.  Don't worry, it wipes off really easily and won't be noticeable at the end.

Next, tape the outline of your first stripe with the painter's tape and use the X-acto knife to trim the edges of the tape into points.  Apply the paint with your brush, and either allow it to air dry or whip out your hair dryer for speedier results.  I think I used about three coats of paint on each stripe.

When your first stripe is done, peel off the tape and repeat the process for stripes two and three.  One thing to make sure of is that you use the satin paint.  As you can see in the picture, I started out with both satin and high gloss, but the high gloss peeled off with the tape, and I had to go back for more satin.

Do the same thing with the liquid guilding; and once again, keep an eye out for dripping.  Mine seeped under the tape a little bit; but, if you loosen it with a Mr. Clean magic eraser, you can easily scrape any smudges off with the X-acto knife.  
  

If you're patient with the drying, the whole project can be completed in an afternoon.  So far, I haven't needed to apply a seal to the bottles because the paint and the guilding both stick pretty well. However, I would recommend keeping these out of the dish washer and just washing them by hand.  Let me know if you give these a try, I'd love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment