Wednesday, May 1, 2013

DIY: Ombré Hair

2010 all over again








Over the weekend, I finally took the plunge and dyed my hair for the first time.  Getting a little inspiration from the lovely ladies above, I decided to just do it myself instead of going to a salon- I figured I had dyed enough hair in my day, so how hard could doing my own be?  As luck would have it, not hard at all!  As someone who has been known to cry over bad haircuts, I really couldn't be happier with the results :)

   

I started off with the L'Oreal Paris Féria Wild Ombré for dark brown hair.  Inside the kit, there was dye, a little hair brush applicator, conditioner and gloves.  I picked an area a little bit above my shoulders and below my chin as my starting point.  (Pro-tip 1: It's good to be flexible about where you want the fade to start because it will inevitably creep up higher than you anticipated.)  I figured my hair is pretty dark, after brushing in the dye, I left it in for the maximum 45 minutes.  Then, I washed it out and applied the conditioner, which didn't really do much to detangle my hair.  (Pro-tip 2: The color on the box is very accurate, so don't be surprised if your hair is coppery or orange.) The next day, I got the Clairol Nice 'n Easy blonde dye to even out the brassy tones.  I think I only used about half the bottle and applied the dye slightly above where the ombré started.  I only left that on for 30 minutes.  Unfortunately, this dye smelled awful; but the good news is  that it came with enough great smelling conditioner to use once a week for month or so. When I washed it out and dried my hair, it was just the shade of light brown that I was going for and made the transition between the two colors much more subtle.  I love the way it turned out- I finally feel ready for the warm weather!




3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, girl (and so do you!). Give the pooch a smooch and a squeeze. Hoping to meet that little dude soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Suzannah! You did a great DIY job on your hair. It looks awesome! I've been wanting to do something like this myself, but I'm wary because my hair's pretty thin. Thanks for sharing your hair inspirations though. I think I'm just gonna go to my fave salon and show them these pictures and hope that they can achieve that effect for me. :)

    -Nydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nydia, you're too sweet! :) Good luck taking the plunge; and I hope all goes well!

      Delete